Title: Baltimore Bellona Gunpowder Manufactory (1801-1856)
A War of 1812 Commemorative Event
Location: HSBC Almshouse Headquarters
Start Time: 2:00 pm
Date: May 6th, 2012
Join former society president, and Stevenson University archivist and professor, Glenn Johnston, for this talk in commemoration of the War of 1812 in Baltimore County.
The Bellona Gunpowder Manufactory was Maryland’s most extensive powder works. It was established seven miles north of Baltimore beside the Jones falls west of Towson, Baltimore County. The manufactory was named after the Roman goddess of war, Bellona. In 1810, the manufactory was capable of producing thirty-two casks of gunpowder per day. The gunpowder from the Bellona works played an important role not only in the defense of Baltimore in 1814, but throughout the War of 1812. Aaron levering, the company’s agent, served as captain of the Baltimore Independent Blues, 6th Maryland Regiment during the Battle of North Point. Following several explosions in 1812, 1820-21 and 1833, production continued until the manufactory was sold to the City of Baltimore as a water works. Subsequently, the facility became submerged below what is now Lake Roland, Baltimore County.